httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 403 Denied
Date Sun, 02 May 2004 06:20:22 GMT
Well, look, I'm not going to argue with you, you asked for help and I'm
just trying to help.  You said "all the folders in question", but you
failed to list explicitly which folders YOU consider to be in question,
as opposed to which folders someone else might realize that APACHE
considers to be in question, which is what ultimately matters.  Even if
it seems basic, it's best to start at the beginning and not make
assumptions about what you're considering, what the software considers,
and how other people might interpret an ambiguous description.  :-)

>From the description you provided, and from what Apache is saying in the
logs, and to the browser, it appears to be a problem where Apache is
refusing to let the client see something.  After playing with my file
and directory permissions on the assumption that it wasafilepermissions
error, I noticed that the file permission error is differnt from the
error log entry you reported.  I found out that I can get this same
error message as you in my log file, and the same error in my browser.
This is probably your problem.  What I did was set "Order deny,allow"
and "Deny from all".  It's an extreme case, but you may have something
related to your deny vs. allow, or ordering, which may be more subtle?
I.e. default behaviour, as you have nothing specified in that
<Directory> tag.  Try the following example.Also note, 1) your
DocumentRoot location must match your Directory location, 2) You
directory location was / (root),which is probably a BAD idea (typo in
the email?), 3) the <Directory> parameter should be double-quoted, and
have no trailing / (which is impossible when you try to use / ).  You
probably need something like this, shown below.

<Directory "/path/to/public_html">
       Options All Multiviews
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all