httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joey Hewitt" <j...@joeyhewitt.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ip aliases and vhosts
Date Sun, 16 May 2004 19:41:16 GMT
Max Dittrich <Max.Dittrich@t-online.de> said:
> Mark Lowe wrote:
> > Hi Joey
> >
> > Thanks for the response. Although I suspect the problem is related to
> > how I'm routing my aliases as when I read my output for
> >
> > /sbin/ifconfig
> >
> > eth0:0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:01:29:21:7F:45
[snip]
> > Both of which are missing information on RX and TX packet which I
> > believe they would be if they were working correctly. I'm still not
> > sure whether this is the way I've configured my routes or it ipchains
> > getting in the way, but when i disabled linux firewall I had the same
> > problem so my guess is my routes are wrong. Or even perhaps I need to
> > enter something in my hosts files and/or dns.

A warning about disabling firewall -- I pulled my hair out over the fact
that *no* servers seemed to work if I disabled my firewall for testing
purposes (it was shorewall on a Gentoo system, so /etc/init.d/shorewall
stop)  Apparently, there's some residual stuff left over in the iptables.
The SSH session that I was using to disable the firewall was still working
(probably because the connection was established across the firewall stop),
and this didn't help me diagnose!  Then there were the times I'd try
flushing the iptables (iptables -F) and cut off my SSH connection (server
reboot would then be required...)  The solution is to make sure your INPUT
and OUTPUT (at least) chains are set to 'policy ACCEPT', and to be sure, the
tables are flushed (iptables -F).  I think similar pointers would apply to
the older version of Linux packet filtering, or whatever the difference
is...

> If you're working with a Linux-kernel, here is a note from the
> ifconfig-manpage:
[snip]

That would be a good idea to check, too.

HTH,
==Joey