httpd-users mailing list archives

From paged...@speakeasy.net
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Beginner - port 80 and firewall
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:52:07 GMT

Have you tried to use the browser with http://localhost/ to see if
that would bring up the site??  What are you trying to use to see
the page?? Are you doing localhost, or www.mysite.com??  If you are
trying to use www.mysite.com and it is not reaching it, it could be
a DNS issue.

Please explain more what method you are using to reach the page.

Also PLEASE DO NOT USE HTML Email.

connect to it through the browser.

> The problem seems to be my firewall or virus scanner. This is McAfee for both (version
6).  I disabled the Firewall but to no avail.

> Following some early advice I ran "apache" on the command line and got a message about
Port 80 being already in use (more or less as I expected).  The only other prgramme that might
be a culprit I guess is Mailwasher which I use for anti-spam.

> I have scanned the user archive to see what to do next but cannot find an answer. [Probably
I am not attentive enough so appologies]

> Obviously I can uninstall the firewall and/or the virus checker but I am reluctant to
do that (less so the Firewall) expecially until I am sure it is the problem.  If posible I
would like to be able to run Apache and keep my protection.