httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache child process consuming massive RAM
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:37:57 GMT

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Harrell, Roger wrote:

> >Hmmm... You originally said the processes where using 20MB each.  Are you
> >saying that even after all third-party modules are gone, you still have
> >around 13MB per process?  That is way too big.
> >
> >I'm not a php expert, but you should take a look at what modules you have
> >compiled into php and see if there are some you don't need.
>
> With the code modules gone (php, perl, python) the httpd childs are about 5
> MB each.

That is a reasonable size for a fairly complete apache.  Note that some
portion of that memory is probably shared between processes, so the total
memory is probably not (number of processes)*5MB.  As you seem to realize,
you can go smaller by removing modules.

There's a good chance you don't need any of these modules; but you should
double-check.

> LoadModule mime_magic_module modules/mod_mime_magic.so
> LoadModule cern_meta_module modules/mod_cern_meta.so
> LoadModule usertrack_module modules/mod_usertrack.so
> LoadModule unique_id_module modules/mod_unique_id.so
> LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
> LoadModule asis_module modules/mod_asis.so
> LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so
> LoadModule vhost_alias_module modules/mod_vhost_alias.so
> LoadModule imap_module modules/mod_imap.so

> and the perl and php modules.
>
> With this each child is around 10MB. Still way to big.

10MB doesn't sound completely unreasonable for a server with both mod_perl
and mod_php.  As I mentioned, you can probably cut down on that somewhat
by trimming mod_perl and mod_php to the essentials, but I don't know
details on how to do that.  Ask on a more specific mailing list.

Joshua.