httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Blocking Webdav.
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:58:03 GMT

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Srinath M wrote:
> Very recently, ever since I started my webserver on my RH9 box running
>  httpd-2.0.40-21, I notice several UA entries in
> /var/log/httpd/access_log such as:
>
> "OPTIONS / HTTP/1.1" 200 0 "-" "Microsoft-WebDAV-MiniRedir/5.1.2600"
>
> I am unfamiliar with this user agent. A quick google revealed that this
> is something to do with Webdav, publishing and the like. As expected, I
> am rather confused. Some results on google suggested that I block this
> UA, some claimed it was harmless. This has left me puzzled. I have the
> following questions:
>
> 1. Should I block this UA? If so how??
> 2. If I should not block it, then why?

There is no need to block this.  It is simply a request to find out the
capabilities of your server.  Your server likely responds that it is not
capable of supporting the webdav methods.

I believe that this type of request can come from MS-Office applications
which, when opening a file from the web, check to see if they will be able
to save it back again.

Joshua.