httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] how to log the no. of bytes transferred
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:22:22 GMT

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, John P. Dodge wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Apache wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> >             I am using apache 2.0.40 and whenever a user downloads a
> > mpeg file from our server, I would like to know only the successfully
> > completed downloads.
> >
> >         I have password protected the site so that only the
> > authenticated user can download it. But I have a problem that if some
> > authenticated user downloads it partially, how do i log the actual no.
> > of bytes he download.

> The bytes transferrer is the last number in the access log line. I do this
> too, with a Perl script to post process the log file.
>
> See: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_log_config.html

In 2.0 I've found that apache usually logs the full file size regardless
of what the client actually receives.  You may want to try mod_logio,
which may be more accurate in this regard, but I'm not sure.  Anyone else
have experience to share?

But do note that there is no perfectly accurate way for apache to tell how
many bytes the client received.  At best, it can tell how many bytes
apache passed to the OS.  Whether these then made it to the client or not
is unknown.

Joshua.