httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] user loging
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:57:39 GMT

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Brock Palen wrote:

> currently we hold users log information for their virtual server via
>
> CustomLog /home/username/logs/access_log combined

As I mentioned recently on this list, and as the apache docs tell you,
letting apache write to a directory controlled by a non-root user is
basically like giving that user root.  Not a good idea.

> Some of our users do not get DNS for their sites though, and access via
> the normal
> www.ourdns.com/~username
> when accessed in this fasstion though access is logged in the default
> servers log and not the users log space.  Is there a way to have it so
> that all access to the users site via their own domain or the ~username
> share the same log file?

You could do this by using SetEnvIf to set an appropriate variable for
each username, and then do conditional logging based on the variable.

But the smarter thing to do is to log everything to one log file and write
a simple script to pull out the stuff that each account needs and dump it
in their directory.

Joshua.