httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] limit number of CGI processes
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:29:40 GMT

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Laura Vance wrote:
> The idea that I have used in the past is for each process, when it
> starts to do a check to see how many others of itself are currently
> running.  If it is over a certain number, then go into a delay loop
> where it checks the number of processes still running.  If it hasn't
> broken out of the loop after X number of delay/check loops, then display
> an error message about the server being too full and exiting.

You could do the same sort of things but let Apache handle the
coordination by running two sets of apache processes: one which handles
nothing but the cgi scripts, and another which handles everything else.
The CGI script apache could run on a non-default port, and could either be
accessed directly, or passed requests using mod_proxy (with ProxyPass).
Then you simply use the MaxClients directive on the CGI script apache to
limit access.

Joshua.