httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] perchild mpm
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:36:15 GMT

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Wright, Tim (ANTS) wrote:

> Hi
>
> Has anyone any experience of the perchild mpm? I'm aware it's experimental
> and from what I've seen on Google, no one's had much success.
>
> I've been trying 2.0.49 with perchild and the performance seems very slow (
> and inconsitent - occasionally server just hangs ).

That's cause it doesn't really work at the moment, as the docs say.

> Also even though it runs a httpd process as an assigned user, cgi scripts
> from that virtual server do not appear to run as the assigned user but as
> the "main" apache user - has anyone else tried this and noticed similar
> behaviour?

Likely you are using mod_cgid which launches a separate daemon to handle
cgi requests.  Since there is only one of these daemons, it will launch
everything under the same userid.  Either you would use the regular
mod_cgi (which may have performance problems with a threaded mpm), or you
use suexec to get your different users.

Of course, this is all theoretical because you shouldn't be using perchild
in production.

Joshua.