httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual hosting user problem
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:32:47 GMT

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Gary Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>  I'm hosting multiple virtual servers on a single server.  The file
> structure is /home/clientname/website/www.  Everything has been working
> fine for some time until one user decided to delete his
> /home/clientname/website folder.  When we were doing some maintenance on
> the server we restarted the httpd daemon and it failed because it
> couldn't find the base folder for one of the virtual instances.
>  Is there a way to tell Apache that if a virtual instance folder has a
> problem ignore that instance and continue loading the rest of the file
> instead of dying for all of the sites?  I fear that it will also happen
> on the log rotate cycle as well.
>  I have tried a multitude of things to make this work but there seems to
> be no simple say.  As a temporary work around we have placed a script in
> the /etc/init.d/httpd startup file that will create a
> /home/client/website/www for each entry in the /home directory.

No, there is no way to get apache to ignore missing DocumentRoots.

You should do a syntax check (apachectl -t) before restarting your server.
I believe that "apachectl graceful" and "apachectl restart" automatically
do this and refuse to start if the syntax check fails.

Of course, this doesn't find every possible error that could prevent
apache from starting.  I think there are some people who avoid this
problem by attempting to start apache on a different port before doing a
restart.

Joshua.