httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re[2]: [users@httpd] Use of mod_auth_mysql
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:03:01 GMT

[Please keep the discussion on the list.]

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, David Gonzalez wrote:

> Monday, April 12, 2004, 10:41:17 AM, you wrote:
>
> JS> Please be much more specific about how it fails.
>
> Well i can enter the dir without any warning or authenmtication dialogs.

Good.  That means that either the .htaccess is in the wrong directory or
AllowOverride is off for that directory.

> JS> The other thing you need to check is your AllowOverride.  You show one in
> JS> a <Directory />, but it doesn't contain "AuthConfig", which you need, and
> JS> you also need to be sure it isn't overriden by another AllowOverride
> JS> further down the tree.
>
> I'm  using  virtual hosting and i don't have it quite clear if i must use a
> <Directory> directive inside my VH config segments???.
>
> I'm just using the Default sgment into httpd.conf like:
>
> <Directory />
>     Options FollowSymLinks
>     AllowOverride All
>     AuthConfig .htaccess # This was added by me, i guess it's wrong.
> </Directory>
>
> I  guess  i'm  doing  something wrong as when i changed httpd.conf file and
> added the AuthCOnfig statement this shows when i start apache.
>
> xaero:/www # /etc/init.d/apache
> Syntax error on line 366 of /www/conf/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'AuthConfig', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included
in the server configuration

AuthConfig is an option to AllowOverride.  But since you have
AllowOverride All, that includes AuthConfig.

Your problem is almost certainly that you have another AllowOverride
someplace that is overriding that one.  For information on how the
location of the directive affects the order it is processed, see:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/sections.html#mergin

But you can probably solve your problem by putting something like
<Directory /path/to/directory/containing/.htaccess>
AllowOverride All
</Directory>

Joshua.