httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Reverse proxy
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:21:30 GMT

[Forwarding back to the list.]

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Richard Skeggs wrote:

> Joshua
>
> I donot llike the idea of having to email you directly but I have emailed
> the httpd user group on two occassions about my problem and it is now
> getting urgent.
>
> I have set up Apache to run as a reverse proxy and it is basically working.
> There is however one major problem. The underlying application uses a
> session cookie as an authentication token, however the cookie is being
> terminated at the proxy and I need it being passed through to the underlying
> application.

If I don't answer a question on the list that nobody else has answered, it
is either because
1) I am busy; or 2) I don't know the answer.
Number 2 applies in this case.

There is a mailing list dedicated to mod_proxy at
http://httpd.apache.org/lists.html#http-proxydev
but I don't know if there is any activity on it.

One thing to consider: Are you sure that the problem is the proxy
stripping the cookie header?  It seems more likely that the proxy is
passing the cookie header, but there is a problem because the domain/path
of the cookie does not get rewritten, so the cookie sent back from the
origin server doesn't match the URL that the client is using.

Joshua.