httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Directory index forbidden by rule: /www/htdocs (403 Forbidden)
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:11:11 GMT

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 ogjunk-h@yahoo.com wrote:
> > If you request the file directly
> > (http://yourhost.example.com/index.html)
> > does it work?
>
> Yes, that does work.
>
> > Are you sure the file is named *exactly* index.html, all lowercase,
> > etc?
>
> Yes:

Well, we have exhausted all the easy tests.  Since I've never heard anyone
with this particular problem before (DirectoryIndex being ignored), it is
likely that there is some silly config thing going wrong.  Can you try
reverting to the default config files that came with apache, and making
only the very basic changes that are necessary to serve files on your
system.  (ie, don't setup virtual hosts)  Then see if that works.

Another alternative is to post your httpd.conf on the web someplace so
people can look and see if there is anything that may be causing
conflicts.

Joshua.