httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stan Horwitz <s...@temple.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Setting up Apache SSIs under Mac OS X
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:56:44 GMT
Hello all;

I am new to Apache configuration issues and this mailing list. About two
years ago, I designed and wrote an html/perl cgi system that allows people
to view the course listings at Temple University via the link at
http://www.temple.edu/tu_courses/old_index.html and this system works fine
in its production environment which is Solaris with Apache.

As an intellectual excercise, A few days ago, I downloaded the files that
form this course schedule system to my Apple Powerbook. My Powerbook runs
Apache 1.3.29 under Mac OS X 10.3.3. This is the Apache version that comes
pre-installed with OS X and I enabled file sharing in the preferences
panel which activates the apache start up scripts.

After hours of research by reading info on the apache.org web site,
Apple's support web site, and some other web sites, I am still stymied
about how to get the server side includes in my .html files to be executed
on my Mac. I have tried the "XBitHack on" method, but it didn't work. I
put that XBitHack on"  statement in both /etc/httpd/httpd.conf and
/etc/httpd/users/stan.conf and I tried various other ways to get the
include statements in my pages to work, but to no avail. Every document I
looked at describes a different procedure to enable SSIs in Apache. Since
I only have ONE account on my Powerbook and it sits powered off most of
the time, I am not concerned about doing this in the most elegant way,
just a way that's simple and quick to implement so I can fiddle with my
perl CGI scripts on my Powerbook.

The html pages are all in the directory ~stan/Sites/tu_courses and the CGI
scripts and data files are all in ~stan/Sites/tu_courses/cgi-bin and the
permissions all have 755 set for everything in ~stan/Sites. Yet when I
open up the main index page, absolutely nothing happens as far as the perl
scripts being executed. The SSI statements are treated as comments. The
errors-log and access-log files show nothing meaningful.

My CGI scripts work on their own because I can execute them both at the
command line in a terminal window and by referencing them in my web
browser. This is why I am assuming that my SSI statements are being
treated as comments.

So what is the trick to getting statements in .html files such as

<A HREF="spring.html"
TARGET="main">
<!--#exec cgi="tu_courses/cgi-bin/display_date_spring.cgi"-->
</A>

to work on the Apache httpd server that comes with Mac OS X?