httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] PDF downloads fail for IE users only
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:03:53 GMT

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, David Carter wrote:

> Found the problem on a SuSE mailing list... the mime type needed to be changed
> from "application/pdf" to "application/x-pdf".

How bizarre.  Doesn't that break any standards-compliant browsers?

> Questions:
> 1. Why does this work? Is it correct?

application/pdf is correct.  The authoritative list is at
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types
PDF is
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/application/pdf

> 2. If it's correct, why isn't it in the default install?
> 3. Why is Internet Exploder the only one to give me grief?

See the Halloween documents.

> 4. Why didn't this affect me with previous server versions?
> 5. What other mime types do I need to change?

Don't.

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/