httpd-users mailing list archives

From "John P. Dodge" <do...@cruciate.ca.boeing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] how to log the no. of bytes transferred
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:22:07 GMT
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Apache wrote:

> Dear John,
>
>          Thanks for the reply . I have tested it out with it . But I have
> found that it actually logs the file size instead of the actual no. of bytes
> transferred.
>
>         In fact I like to log the actual no.of bytes transferred so that I
> would be able to know if the user completely downloaded the file or not.
>
> Any ideas ??
>

> Thanking You.
>
> Binaya
>
> > On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Apache wrote:
> >
> > >             I am using apache 2.0.40 and whenever a user downloads a
> > > mpeg file from our server, I would like to know only the successfully
> > > completed downloads.
> > >
> > >         I have password protected the site so that only the
> > > authenticated user can download it. But I have a problem that if some
> > > authenticated user downloads it partially, how do i log the actual no.
> > > of bytes he download.
> > >

> > The bytes transferrer is the last number in the access log line. I do this
> > too, with a Perl script to post process the log file.
> >
> > See: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_log_config.html

If the number in the "bytes transferred" field is the sane as the file
size then that is how many bytes Apache sent to the O/S. For example if a
client hits the cancel during the transfer the byte count will be less.

As Joshua pointed out you may want to look at mod_logio.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_logio.html

"Mon aƩroglisseur est plein d'anguilles"
John P. Dodge
Boeing Shared Services