httpd-users mailing list archives

From mathieu.mil...@ratp.fr
Subject [users@httpd] Authenticating reverse proxy and wrong credentials forward.
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:59:30 GMT
	Hi everyone,

I would like to setup a reverse proxy (using Apache2) that will be able to
authenticate users (by itself, using a LDAP directory). The backend server
(OWA Exchange 5.5) must also authenticate users (with different realm,
login, password...) by itself.

Watching the network, I have a strange behaviour.

I authenticate successfully on the proxy and then, Apache forwards my
credentials to the backend web server (which it should not, I think).

The backend end server responds with a 401 and I get a new authentication
dialog box with the realm of the backend server.

I then type the login/pwd for the backend server, Apache tries to use these
new login/pwd instead of passing them to the backend server, despite this
login/pwd is for another realm.

Can somebody help me out of this ?

Of course, I can't set the same login/pwd for both Apache/LDAP and the
backend server.

Thanks in advance for any answer.
Sincerely yours, Mathieu MILLET.

--