httpd-users mailing list archives

From <pan...@akuate.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache httpd process size
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 20:18:01 GMT

Thanks Aaron for the reply.
We are using Apache 1.3. As far as I know, all httpds on apache 1.3 are
processes and not threads but I am not sure. Also how would I find that
I am using Linux threads? What I observed in top was that there is one
parent httpd process and several child processes of this parent and all
of them have the same memory stats.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Pankaj

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron W Morris [mailto:aaronmorris@mindspring.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 1:21 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache httpd process size

pankaj@akuate.com wrote:

> Josh,
>
> Thanks again for the reply.
>
> I ran top on Linux.
>
> It has 3 things as far as memory is concerned, SIZE, RSS AND SHARE.
> For almost all of my httpd processes, the SIZE and RSS value is the same
> (6656) where SHARE is around 6420. Does this look all right?
>
> Also I am using Apache 1.3 and not 2.0.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.

I hate to complicate this further, but keep in mind that while ps (and
top) will give fairly accurate per-process stats, when you start looking

at groups of processes, it's not as accurate.  If you added up all the
RSS fields for all httpd processes, the number would not necessarily
reflect the total memory used by Apache, because shared memory is not
taken into account.

For instance, you could have 10 httpd processes at 5MB a piece, but only

be using 40MB of memory.

An additional caveat on Linux systems (doesn't apply to this situation):

  If you are using LinuxThreads, each thread is listed as process in ps
and top with the exact same stats as the parent process.