httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Harrell, Roger" <rjhar...@bechtel.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache child process consuming massive RAM
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:29:37 GMT

>Hmmm... You originally said the processes where using 20MB each.  Are you
>saying that even after all third-party modules are gone, you still have
>around 13MB per process?  That is way too big.
>
>I'm not a php expert, but you should take a look at what modules you have
>compiled into php and see if there are some you don't need.

With the code modules gone (php, perl, python) the httpd childs are about 5
MB each. This is without my main site (audiblefaith.com) routed to the
server. I didn't discover this until I pointed audiblefaith.com to the new
server. That's when the server bogged down. The sites on it are very low
volume and don't involve much scripting. Anyway with just these low volume
sites on there, and no code modules each apache child is around 5MB which I
agree is way too big. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I removed some
unncecssary modules this morning (like mod_auth_digest, mod_status, etc)
here's my current module list.

LoadModule access_module modules/mod_access.so
LoadModule auth_module modules/mod_auth.so
LoadModule include_module modules/mod_include.so
LoadModule log_config_module modules/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule env_module modules/mod_env.so
LoadModule mime_magic_module modules/mod_mime_magic.so
LoadModule cern_meta_module modules/mod_cern_meta.so
LoadModule expires_module modules/mod_expires.so
LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so
LoadModule usertrack_module modules/mod_usertrack.so
LoadModule unique_id_module modules/mod_unique_id.so
LoadModule setenvif_module modules/mod_setenvif.so
LoadModule mime_module modules/mod_mime.so
LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
LoadModule autoindex_module modules/mod_autoindex.so
LoadModule asis_module modules/mod_asis.so
LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so
LoadModule vhost_alias_module modules/mod_vhost_alias.so
LoadModule negotiation_module modules/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule dir_module modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule imap_module modules/mod_imap.so
LoadModule actions_module modules/mod_actions.so
LoadModule userdir_module modules/mod_userdir.so
LoadModule alias_module modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

and the perl and php modules.

With this each child is around 10MB. Still way to big.

Roger