httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Harrell, Roger" <rjhar...@bechtel.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache child process consuming massive RAM
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:48:16 GMT

>> That's all of the *.conf files. As far as scripts causing the problems,
it's
>> unlikely. All of the scripts that are there have been running without
>> trouble on another box. Most of them for a few years.
>
>On the other hand, it is quite likely that one of these scripts is the
>problem.  Try taking out all of these include files and see if the problem
>persists.  If it goes away, add them back one by one until you find where
>the problem is.

Ok I commented out the modules for python, perl and php one by one. Python
adds about 1.2 MB to each httpd child process, perl adds about 1.2 MB and
PHP adds about 4 MB to each child process. I am not using python so I've
left that commented out, but PHP and perl are both essential for my server
(perl very little, I could do without that). So why are these child
processes requiring so much more ram than on my older box? I'm running PHP
4.2.2 on my old box and don't experience this. Is the difference in Apache
2? I can get more RAM, but want to know if I can tune Apache as well.

Thanks,
Roger