httpd-users mailing list archives

From Carlos <zottm...@ig.com.br>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Load Balancing with mod_rewrite
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:04:16 GMT
At 14:57 16/4/2004, Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Milan Andric wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:12:59AM -0300, Carlos wrote:
> > > Hi!!
> > >
> > > We are trying to use an Apache Server as a Reverse Proxy to two IIS
> > > Servers, with Load Balancing capabilities.  So far we have managed to get
> > > it working, thanks to the tips in
> > > http://www.engelschall.com/pw/apache/rewriteguide/, but, at this
> point, if
> > > one of the IIS servers is down, the Apache Server doesn´t know about
> that,
> > > and gives a 404 page to the browsers that get "rewrited" to the
> server that
> > > is down.
> > >
> > > What can be done to solve this... If one of the servers are down, then
> > > everyone gets "rewrited" to the server that is up?
> >
> > well, it probably depends on how you configured the rewrites but a shot
> in the
> > dark is to edit your /etc/hosts file on the proxy machine so request to the
> > machine that goes down is routed to the machine that is up. similarly in
> > windows maybe lmhosts file will do the trick?
>
>The other option being to have an external (cron job) process that checks
>the availability of the servers, and modifies an external rewrite map if
>one of them is down.
>
>mod_rewrite has no internal way to check for dead servers.
>
>Joshua.

Hi!!

Thanks everyone for the replies !!

I configured my rewrites based on rnd, and the file that is looked up
contains the ip addresses of my two IIS servers. My Apache server, acting
as a reverse proxy, gets about 1.400.000 hits a day. Would it be possible
and advisable to change the rewrite conf to use a program that choses one
of the IIS servers, verifies if its up, and then returns the server IP
address to the Apache server?

Thanks again !!

Carlos.