httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Krishnakumar, Kumar" <Kumar.Krishnaku...@spirentcom.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] subdirectories
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:27:27 GMT

Well, apparently the company with which I have
parked my domain (and forwarded to my server PC)
doesn't support subdirectories.  The manual and
icons subdirectories that I was able to access
was actually coming from their server!!

-----Original Message-----
From: BAO RuiXian [mailto:ruixian.bao@pp.inet.fi]
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 12:56 PM
To: Krishnakumar, Kumar; users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] subdirectories

Please keep on the list and not use html format, so that many others are
able to easily read your mail.

Krishnakumar, Kumar wrote:

>Hello,
>Thanks for responding.
>I am getting a 404 error on the browser.

404 means 'Not Found', i.e. the directory 'sub' is not under your
docment root /var/www/html.

>I am however able to access the manual pages
>installed by apache by typing http://www.domain.com/manual/

Don't reference the manual page, which is an alias in your config file,
I guess.

>So I tried to move my subdirectory up one level
>to /var/www/sub (the same as /var/www/manual).  But
>still I am not able to access it.

Of course not. I am sure you can find an alias directive something like
'alias /manaul /var/www/manaul'.

>If I insert a link in /var/www/html/index.html to point
>to sub/index.html, I am able to reach it.

So, it seems the directory 'sub' is indeed under /var/www/html. Weird
problem, since the error is 404. Not a solution, but have you tried
www.domain.com/sub/index.html, which should be the same as you call
sub/index.html from the main index.html file.

Best

Bao