httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paul Mindeman <minde...@btinet.net>
Subject [users@httpd] ulimit being ignored
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:42:51 GMT
I've got kind of a strange problem with Apache 2.0.49 on Solaris 9.
There are about 160 virtual hosts set up on this server.  When I use the
rotatelogs program in the CustomLog directive, Apache fails to start up.
  The error log says that the certificate file for one of the hosts
cannot be opened because there are too many open files.  When I change
CustomLog back to logging to a file instead of a process, the server
starts normally.

I've tried setting the ULIMIT_MAX_FILES variable in apachectl to "ulimit
-S -n unlimited", but still get the same error.  Its almost as if ulimit
is being ignored, or isn't getting passed on to the child processes.

Any ideas?
--
Paul Mindeman
BTInet Systems Administrator