httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Valentine <jamesdavidvalent...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Problem: My Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) serves directory listings but not files
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:59:25 GMT
The Apache server running on port 80, http://punkmailer.hopto.org will
not serve any files outside the LAN, although it will display
subdirectory listings (try http://punkmailer.hopto.org/sys/ ) and will
display output generated by pages parsed with mod_php. 404 errors are
given for GET requests for non-existent files. Attempts to GET existing
files cause Apache to maintain the connection and Mozilla to display
'Waiting...'.

None of these issues occur when using Lynx on the server to view the
content.

Steps taken to isolate the problem:
- removal of the index page (index.php), but even then, no root dir
listing is given
- GETting plain text files: no success
- running
    echo -e "GET http://punkmailer.hopto.org/index.php HTTP/1.0\n\n" |
nc punkmailer.hopto.org 80 | less
    locally to check the headers (I'd be grateful if someone would try
this from their box)
- checking the server address in httpd.conf
- file permissions are good, and no 403 errors, either.

With my curious mix of knowledge and ignorance (plus a  lot of messing
around) I'm pretty convinced this is a problem with my Apache
configuration settings for the outside world: the box is behind a
firewall but there is clearly data exchange going on: my access_log
shows the GET request; the error_log is clean. That, plus subdirectories
will be listed.

Extensive googles haven't thown up the answer (that's how I tend to get
most of my solutions). If my configuration files are desired, I'll
upload them and post the links if that would be appropriate.

Any suggestions apprecated.

--
James Valentine

mob: 07971 287041