httpd-users mailing list archives

From Luis Moreira <luis.more...@esinnovation.pt>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Beginner - port 80 and firewall
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:41:39 GMT
adrian Greeman wrote:

> I used to have Apache 1.3 running well on Win ME for  PHP learning.
>
> Now I have got XP (with SP1) and just downloaded Apache
> 2.0.48 again personal single computer use.
>
> It installed with no problems and sits there nicely saying it is
> running  - but I cannot connect to it through the browser.
>
> The problem seems to be my firewall or virus scanner. This is McAfee
> for both (version 6).  I disabled the Firewall but to no avail.
>
> Following some early advice I ran "apache" on the command line and got
> a message about Port 80 being already in use (more or less as I
> expected).  The only other prgramme that might be a culprit I guess is
> Mailwasher which I use for anti-spam.
>
> I have scanned the user archive to see what to do next but cannot find
> an answer. [Probably I am not attentive enough so appologies]
>
> Obviously I can uninstall the firewall and/or the virus checker but I
> am reluctant to do that (less so the Firewall) expecially until I am
> sure it is the problem.  If posible I would like to be able to run
> Apache and keep my protection.
>
> I do not want to waste too much time but I am fairly sure other people
> must hit this problem and can advise me.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Regards
>
>                                        Adrian G

Adrian,

    This is a little off-topic, but anyway :

    MacAfee is a very peculiar firewall, and even if you disable it it
may still be "active". My adice is "get rid of it".
    On the other hand, XP has a native firewall. Do you have that
disabled as well ? If not ....
    Also, check the config of Mailwasher (which I ignore), because if it
is using port 80, then you can not have two programs sitting on the same
port.

    To check, you can change Apache config to "Listen 81" and then call
"http://127.0.0.1:81" to see if Apache replies.

    Hope this helps

Luis