httpd-users mailing list archives

From Luis Moreira <luis.more...@esinnovation.pt>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] html tutorial
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 11:06:00 GMT
Michael Gordon wrote:

> Scott,
>
> My recommendation is to start with About.com, after you are
> comfortable with HTML/XHTML buy the latest version of Mastering HTML,
> Premium Edition, by Ray & Ray, published by Sybex.  This will become
> your reference book for HTML.
>
> You will begin to code by hand in a test editor like MS NotePad for
> the beginning lessons, as the course becomes more complex you will
> want an editor that will intuitively assist you with the code (still
> done by hand), a good code text editor is TextPad, but an even better
> tool is CSE HTML Validator.  CSE will highlight code elements like
> TextPad, but it also has extensive coding shortcuts, and will validate
> your code as you create the code.
>
> After you have learned the more advanced coding for different elements
> to a web page you can advance to a WYSIWYG editor where you see the
> page develop as you create the code,  Mozilla 1.6 - 1.7 is a very good
> editor for this purpose, and it allows you to use your favorite text
> editor for functions not available in Mozilla Composer, as well as
> validate your code.
>
> Michael Gordon
>

> Scott Carper wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Pretty basic.  I am totally new to web development.  I was going to
>> start
>> learning with FrontPage, but after everything I've read in this mail
>> list,
>> it looks like I should forget about FrontPage.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Scott

Front Page has a great advantage over everything else.
You don't need to know html to code anything, since it does all the work
for you.
A huge disadvantge is the "heaviness" of it, since FP creates an
enormous listing of useless information to store a minimal site.
What I (sometimes) do, is use FrontPage to check the HTML syntax fot
something, thenm go on to code using Macromedia.
Given to spending, this is very good, since you can build a page in
"design mode", and then check the html behind it.
As publications go, O'Reilly is normally a good source...

Luis