httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Gordon <mgord...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] html tutorial
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:53:50 GMT
Scott,

My recommendation is to start with About.com, after you are comfortable
with HTML/XHTML buy the latest version of Mastering HTML, Premium
Edition, by Ray & Ray, published by Sybex.  This will become your
reference book for HTML.

You will begin to code by hand in a test editor like MS NotePad for the
beginning lessons, as the course becomes more complex you will want an
editor that will intuitively assist you with the code (still done by
hand), a good code text editor is TextPad, but an even better tool is
CSE HTML Validator.  CSE will highlight code elements like TextPad, but
it also has extensive coding shortcuts, and will validate your code as
you create the code.

After you have learned the more advanced coding for different elements
to a web page you can advance to a WYSIWYG editor where you see the page
develop as you create the code,  Mozilla 1.6 - 1.7 is a very good editor
for this purpose, and it allows you to use your favorite text editor for
functions not available in Mozilla Composer, as well as validate your code.

Michael Gordon

--
Character is doing the right thing...
Even when no one is watching...