httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Strehle <...@digicol.de>
Subject [users@httpd] KeepAlive blocks third request to PHP "tail" script (infinite loop)
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:27:23 GMT
Hi,

we have written a PHP page emulating "tail -f" (watch log file output)
in the web browser. This PHP script never stops loading, it runs in an
endless loop checking for new content in a log file and sending it to
the browser. Works fine. Until we're trying to "tail" three different
log files in three browser windows at the same time:

The web browser (Internet Explorer as well as Mozilla) refuses to load
more than two instances of this PHP page. When trying to open the page
from a third browser window, this window waits, loading, displaying
nothing - but it starts to display output once we click "Stop" in one of
the other browser windows. The third request is obviously waiting for a
connection, then re-using the connection of a previous window.

Our httpd.conf contains these settings:

   KeepAlive On
   MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
   KeepAliveTimeout 15

Once we switch to "KeepAlive Off", we're able to open more than two
parallel instances of this PHP page.

There must be a good explanation for this behaviour. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time,
Tim