httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Sean Gonsman" <s...@gonsman.com>
Subject [users@httpd] No Prompt for login using Basic Authentication
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:40:22 GMT
I have spent a considerable amount of time looking into this problem.  For
some reason I do not get the window prompt to enter a user name and
password when a directory has been secured using basic authentication. It
goes straight to the "Athentication Required" Page as if I didn't enter a
valid username and password.  I have found a few similar situations online
regarding this problem, but it looks like they were related to PHP.  I
tried removing all PHP info and modules, but still no fix (I guess PHP is
not working fully in 2).  All I want to do is have the login prompt ask
for a username and password for a directory on my server. I am accessing
the linux server from within the same network on Win XP using IE6 (I also
tried Netscape).

Server:
Apache 2.0.40
Red Hat Linux 9

Here is the code that I have for the authentication:

Alias /nagios/ /usr/share/nagios/
<Directory /usr/share/nagios/>
   AllowOverride AuthConfig
   order allow,deny
   AuthType Basic
   AuthName "Restricted Files"
   AuthUserFile /usr/lib/httpd/httpdpasswords.pwd
   require user nagiosadmin
   allow from all
</Directory>

I have read tutorials on how to do all of this and it seems very
straightforward so I am so confused as to why I am having these problems.
The password file has been created fine and permissions are 777 just in
case. I don't have this in a virtual server just in the default server. I
also have noticed, that I am getting a 500 error for the home page (I
wasn't yesterday, and now I can't get rid of this problem either [I don't
care about this, although maybe it has something to do with my issue :)
]), although webmin, opengroupware, and other programs are working through
Apache.

-Sean