httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Greg Miell" <greg_mi...@dsl.pipex.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Authentication problem.
Date Sun, 25 Apr 2004 03:58:31 GMT
Hey all,
I am having a problem with authentication with my apache server. The server
(v2.0.49) is running under Win XP Pro and has a virtual host
admin.domain.net:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName admin.**********.net
    ServerAlias admin.**********.net
    DocumentRoot "C:/inetpub/webadmin"
</VirtualHost>
<Directory "C:/inetpub/webadmin">
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Administrator Password"
    AuthUserFile "C:/inetpub/adminpasswd"
    Require User admin
</Directory>

I have created the adminpasswd file using "htpasswd -c
C:\inetpub\adminpasswd admin"

But I don't seem to be able to login to the virtual host, this appears after
3 logon attempts:

"Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document
requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password),
or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required."

I am using MS IE 6.0.2800 to access the server.

Greg Miell
+447763909283
http://www.greg-net.dnsalias.net
telnet://bbs.greg-net.dnsalias.net

Dell Dimension 2350
2.5GHz Intel Pentium 4
1GB SDRAM
Intel Graphics -> Dell 17in CRT
Matrox Mystique Graphics -> Compaq 15in CRT
1xDVD-ROM
1xCR-RW
4xSCSI Virtual DVD-ROM
1x120GB HDD