httpd-users mailing list archives

From Srinath M <msrinat...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Blocking Webdav.
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 06:16:44 GMT
Hi,

I am a newbie to webservers, httpd to be specific. I tried to search
the archive to see if my problem was encountered earlier, but the posts
that I came across, confused me even more. I apologize, I am forced to
post my problem.

To get straight to the problem,

Very recently, ever since I started my webserver on my RH9 box running
 httpd-2.0.40-21, I notice several UA entries in
/var/log/httpd/access_log such as:

"OPTIONS / HTTP/1.1" 200 0 "-" "Microsoft-WebDAV-MiniRedir/5.1.2600"

I am unfamiliar with this user agent. A quick google revealed that this
is something to do with Webdav, publishing and the like. As expected, I
am rather confused. Some results on google suggested that I block this
UA, some claimed it was harmless. This has left me puzzled. I have the
following questions:

1. Should I block this UA? If so how??
2. If I should not block it, then why?

I would really appreciate if someone could guide me towards appropriate
resources or help me out here. Please bear with my ignorance.

Regards,
Puli.