httpd-users mailing list archives

From Milan Andric <mand...@eecs.berkeley.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Load Balancing with mod_rewrite
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:38:55 GMT
On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:12:59AM -0300, Carlos wrote:
> Hi!!
>
> We are trying to use an Apache Server as a Reverse Proxy to two IIS
> Servers, with Load Balancing capabilities.  So far we have managed to get
> it working, thanks to the tips in
> http://www.engelschall.com/pw/apache/rewriteguide/, but, at this point, if
> one of the IIS servers is down, the Apache Server doesn´t know about that,
> and gives a 404 page to the browsers that get "rewrited" to the server that
> is down.
>
> What can be done to solve this... If one of the servers are down, then
> everyone gets "rewrited" to the server that is up?

well, it probably depends on how you configured the rewrites but a shot in the
dark is to edit your /etc/hosts file on the proxy machine so request to the
machine that goes down is routed to the machine that is up. similarly in
windows maybe lmhosts file will do the trick?

just a thought, hope it helps,
--
Milan