httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael D Schleif <...@helices.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Howto serve SWF directly ???
Date Sun, 04 Apr 2004 21:38:16 GMT
* Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> [2004:04:02:19:39:23-0500] scribed:

> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> > I had added this to <DOC_ROOT>/.htaccess:
> >
> >     AddType application/x-shockwave-flash swf
> >
> > With this in .htaccess, instead of text/plain file contents, I get this:
> >
> >     The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
> >     unable to complete your request.
> >
> > I do not have access to httpd.conf on this shared box, and this is a
> > virtual host.
>
> You need to find out what is in the error log for that request.  Without
> knowing that, there is pretty much nothing you can do expect by
> trial-and-error.
>
> (There is a significant chance that your ISP's policy is to not allow you
> to use AddType (No AllowOverride FileInfo), in which case there is nothing
> you can do anyway.)

OK, I studied httpd.conf and access.conf.  I asked the system
administrator to either add AddType to my VirtualHost in httpd.conf, or
add `AllowOverride All' for my Directory in access.conf.  They did the
latter.

Prior to that, IE displayed the flash file correctly.  I am still
confused *WHY* this is the case?

After adding `AllowOverride All', then Konqueror displayed the flash
file correctly, too.  However, neither Mozilla nor FireFox displayed
anything other than file contents.  Why?

Finally, I added `ForceType none' to .htaccess, and now all browsers
that I have tried can view the flash file as I expect.

Another response suggested using netcat to get at what my browsers
_think_ that they are interpreting.  No matter what is in my
$DocumentRoot/.htaccess, I always get Content-Type: text/html.

Remaining questions:

[1] How can some browsers interpret the flash file as a flash file, even
    without AllowOverride and ForceType?

[2] What does the last line of netcat really mean?  That Content-Type
    does not change -- for me -- regardless what is in .htaccess.

[3] When is ForceType allowed inside Directory or Location directives,
    inside $DocumentRoot/.htaccess?  When I tried to limit ForceType to
    my /tmP directory, I got an error saying:

        <Directory not allowed here

Thank you, for pondering my puzzles.

--
Best Regards,