httpd-users mailing list archives

From <ogjun...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Directory index forbidden by rule: /www/htdocs (403 Forbidden)
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:33:05 GMT

--- Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 ogjunk-h@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am having some difficulties configuring my Apache server.
> >
> > Goal (pretty standard):
> >   Then the file is not specified in the request, load index.html in
> >   that directory.  If there is no index.html, do _not_ allow
> directory
> >   browsing.
> >
> > Problem:
> >   I am getting 403 Forbidden and this error in my error_log:
> >
> >     Directory index forbidden by rule: /www/htdocs
>
> Yeah, that's what you just said you wanted to happen. Do not allow
> directory browsing.

Yes, but if the directory contains index.html, I want Apache to display
that file if no file is specified in the request.

> > However, that then shows the directory listing (and index.html in
> it),
> > instead of automatically loading index.html
>
> So, the directory in question does contain an index.html file? Can
> you
> load that index.html file if you request it explicitly? If not, what
> error message happens in that case?

Yes, index.html is in the directory in question (root dir), and when I
go to it directly (i.e. http://...../index.html), I do get the page.

So I need to get Apache to load this page even when I go to /.

Thanks,
Otis