httpd-users mailing list archives

From <ogjun...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Directory index forbidden by rule: /www/htdocs (403 Forbidden)
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:03:38 GMT
Hello,

Answers inlined:

--- Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 ogjunk-h@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Goal (pretty standard):
> >   Then the file is not specified in the request, load index.html in
> >   that directory.  If there is no index.html, do _not_ allow
> directory
> >   browsing.
> >
> > Problem:
> >   I am getting 403 Forbidden and this error in my error_log:
> >
> >     Directory index forbidden by rule: /www/htdocs
>
> >   DocumentRoot /www/htdocs
> >   DirectoryIndex index.html
> >   <Directory "/www/htdocs">
> >     Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
> >     AllowOverride None
> >     Order allow,deny
> >     Allow from all
> >     DirectoryIndex index.html
> >   </Directory>
>
> If you request the file directly
> (http://yourhost.example.com/index.html)
> does it work?

Yes, that does work.

> Are you sure the file is named *exactly* index.html, all lowercase,
> etc?

Yes:
$ ls -al /www/htdocs/index.html
-rw-r--r--    1 otis     otis           12 Mar 31 12:45
/www/htdocs/index.html

Permissions:

  /www directory:
    drwxrwsr-x    5 otis    otis        4096 Mar 27 00:43 www

  /www/htdocs directory:
    drwxr-xr-x    2 otis     otis         4096 Mar 31 12:45 htdocs

  /www/htdocs/index.html file:
    -rw-r--r--    1 otis     otis           12 Mar 31 12:45 index.html

> Are there any other DirectoryIndex directives (for example, in an
> .htaccess file) that could be overriding this one?

I don't have any .htaccess files (this is a brand new server).

I have only this in the main part (outside virtual host section) of the
httpd.conf:

<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.jsp
</IfModule>