httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ksenia Marasanova <kse...@ksenia.nl>
Subject [users@httpd] remote update of the websites
Date Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:03:59 GMT
Hi list,

I'm planning to automate the process of updating my websites and was
wondering how other people do this.
Currently It's quite a procedure:

- scp files to the webserver (as a regular user)
- su to root
- copy files to the www directory
- chown files to www:www (if needed)
- chmod files to r--------, directories to dr-x------, cgi scripts to
r-x------ (if needed)

In the ideal situation, I'd like to have an update script that will
just copy updated files tot the webserver and taking care of
everything. But:
- I don't want to open any other ports but ssh
- I don't want to allow root remote access

Actually I don't want to use root login at all, prefer to do everything
as a regular user. But if I understand things correctly, than I'll need
to make this user the owner of the web files... right? Does it  open
any security holes?

Appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Ksenia.