httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Scott <msc...@pyewacket.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] html tutorial
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 20:58:51 GMT
Quoting Luis Moreira <luis.moreira@esinnovation.pt>:

> Front Page has a great advantage over everything else.
> You don't need to know html to code anything, since it does all the work

My two complaints about FrontPage and it's ilk are:

1.  They all generate "fat" html code.  That is code with a lot of superfluous
tags and junk that just makes the page load slower.  Remember some folks out
there still use <56K dialup.  I try and code "lean and mean" and test via dialup.
If a page takes forever to load, users (myself included) will just click away.

2.  You don't really learn anything.  I like the fact that I can whip out any
old text editor and slap together a simple web page (my first web page was
written using vi).  I also know how it operates.