httpd-users mailing list archives

From "K Anand" <kan...@sail-steel.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to get the client to download a file ??
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:41:56 GMT
Actually....I did manage to get them to download the file..I set the content
type as...text/binary or binary/text..etc...One problem came...My server is
linux and my client is Windoze...so the file which got saved on the client
m/c does not hv LF/CR...when it is opened in a text editor, it looks bad.
What i basically want to happen is an ftp in ascii....Any suggestions
please?

Thanx for prompt reply..
Anand

----- Original Message -----
From: "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Boyle@swx.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 3:01 PM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] How to get the client to download a file ??

Plain text please...

Actually, every time a user hits a webpage, he downloads a file. That's
what the web is all about :-)

What is important is what the browser does with the file. If it is HTML,
it displays it immediately. If it is something else, then something else
happens; eg, if it's PDF, it starts up Acrobat (if you've got it), if
it's XLS, it starts Excel (if you've got it) etc.

The browser decides what to do based on the mime-type of the file. A
list of mime-types for various file extensions is kept in the file
mime.types in your conf directory.

Having said that, MSIE is known to ignore the mime-type and use the file
extension preferentially. BTW, this violates the HTTP RFC...

If you want to force the browser to pop-up a "Save file" window, you
have to set the mime-type so that it doesn't know what else to do with
it. To set the mime-type for a particular file extension, use the
AddType directive
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addtype). If your files
already have a .txt extension then it's a bit tricky - the default for
this is "text/plain" which means that the browser will render it as
text. To force it to save it, either;

- rename the files to something else, eg, myfile.sav and set the
mime-type for these new types of file, eg:

AddType application/octet-stream sav

 or

- override the default txt mime-type, viz:

AddType application/octet-stream txt

The second is a bit drastic since, from then on, any text files will get
saved and not displayed. Of course, you could restrict the scope of this
directive by placing it in a <Directory> or other container... Also,
MSIE will probably ignore it.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle