httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using 1.3.29 with SSL under Windows 2000
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:32:22 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: <trlists@clayst.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 4:00 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] Using 1.3.29 with SSL under Windows 2000

> I am tearing my hair out on this one ... I followed the instructions
at
> http://tud.at/programm/apache-ssl-win32-howto.php3.  When I try to
> start Apache I get:
>
>     Cannot load h:/apache/modules/mod_ssl.so into server: (127) The
>     specified procedure could not be found:
>
> mod_ssl.so exists and is in the named directory.  I checked that the
> two SSL DLLs are in the right place (in \WINNT\SYSTEM32) and they are.
> mod_ssl.so and the Apache executables all come from
> http://hunter.campbus.com/Apache_1.3.29-Mod_SSL_2.8.16-Openssl_0.9.7d-
> Win32.zip.
>
> The LoadModule and AddModule sections are consistent -- here they are
> (comments removed):
>
>      LoadModule php4_module h:/php/sapi/php4apache.dll
>      LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
>      AddModule mod_env.c
>      AddModule mod_log_config.c
>      AddModule mod_mime.c
>      AddModule mod_negotiation.c
>      AddModule mod_include.c
>      AddModule mod_autoindex.c
>      AddModule mod_dir.c
>      AddModule mod_isapi.c
>      AddModule mod_cgi.c
>      AddModule mod_asis.c
>      AddModule mod_imap.c
>      AddModule mod_actions.c
>      AddModule mod_userdir.c
>      AddModule mod_alias.c
>      AddModule mod_access.c
>      AddModule mod_auth.c
>      AddModule mod_so.c
>      AddModule mod_setenvif.c
>      AddModule mod_ssl.c
>      AddModule mod_php4.c
>
> Any idea what I can do to diagnose this further?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Tom

It's been a while since I used Apache (2.0.47) on windows, but the basic
ideas at this level of debugging should be the same as on Linux, for any
Apache version.  By default, the precompiled .msi doesn't come with SSL
support, so it needs to be recompiled to get the mod_ssl.so.  I've got a
cygwin environment and can use that to compile Apache on Windows from
source, instead of using anyone else's, same as is done in any Unix, and
is preferred IMO, to get exactly and only the options and modules that
you want.  So either way, you end up with your Apache (httpd)
executable, and all your modules (static or shared).

Next thing is to make sure you have the LoadModule and AddModule lines
in the proper order.  I'm not sure of the specifics, but I
have --enable-mods-shared=all, plus several other modules which are not
compiled unless specified.  And my LoadModule for mod_ssl is about half
way down the list, and mod_php4 is at the bottom of the list.  You have
both of these at the beginning.  Also my mod_ssl is inside an <IfDefine
SSL> block.  I don't know if that makes any difference for mod_ssl
inyour case, but it might for mod_php4.

I downloaded Hunter's Apache 1.3.29 + SSL, just to look at the
httpd.conf file.  Pay close attention to the # comments!!!  Run
"Apache.exe -l" (see below) to see what is already compiled in
statically.  If a module is not listed there, then it's a shared module
so you must use both LoadModule and AddModule.  Notice mod_ssl.c is not
compiled in statically.  Notice mod_ssl is in LoadModule, but commented
out, and there is no corresponding AddModule for mod_ssl.  You should
probably uncomment "LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so" and add
"AddModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.c" to the end of the AddModules
list.  Likewise, comment out your php4 stuff until you get SSL working.
Add one thing at a time!  One you get SSL working, then add your
"LoadModule php4_module c:/php/sapi/php4apache.dll" to the end of the
LoadModule list, and "AddModule mod_php4.c" to the end of the AddModule
list, and make sure you have your %SYSTEMROOT%\php.ini and %PATH% is
configured properly to find both of your php4ts.dll and php4apache.dll.

================
Modules - configured
================

#
# Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) Support
#
# To be able to use the functionality of a module which was built as a
DSO you
# have to place corresponding `LoadModule' lines at this location so the
# directives contained in it are actually available _before_ they are
used.
# Please read the file README.DSO in the Apache 1.3 distribution for
more
# details about the DSO mechanism and run `apache -l' for the list of
already
# built-in (statically linked and thus always available) modules in your
Apache
# binary.
#
# Note: The order in which modules are loaded is important.  Don't
change
# the order below without expert advice.
#
# Example:
# LoadModule foo_module modules/mod_foo.so
#
#LoadModule vhost_alias_module modules/mod_vhost_alias.so
#LoadModule mime_magic_module modules/mod_mime_magic.so
#LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so
#LoadModule info_module modules/mod_info.so
#LoadModule speling_module modules/mod_speling.so
#LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
#LoadModule anon_auth_module modules/mod_auth_anon.so
#LoadModule dbm_auth_module modules/mod_auth_dbm.so
#LoadModule digest_auth_module modules/mod_auth_digest.so
#LoadModule digest_module modules/mod_digest.so
#LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
#LoadModule cern_meta_module modules/mod_cern_meta.so
#LoadModule expires_module modules/mod_expires.so
#LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so
#LoadModule usertrack_module modules/mod_usertrack.so
#LoadModule unique_id_module modules/mod_unique_id.so
#LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so

#
#  Reconstruction of the complete module list from all available modules
#  (static and shared ones) to achieve correct module execution order.
#
# The modules listed below, without a corresponding LoadModule
directive,
# are static bound into the standard Apache binary distribution for
Windows.
#
# Note: The order in which modules are loaded is important.  Don't
change
# the order below without expert advice.
#
# [WHENEVER YOU CHANGE THE LOADMODULE SECTION ABOVE, UPDATE THIS TOO!]
ClearModuleList
#AddModule mod_vhost_alias.c
AddModule mod_env.c
AddModule mod_log_config.c