httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Vhost configuration problem
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:44:27 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua Slive" <joshua@slive.ca>
To: "Bo Boe" <boboeboe@yahoo.com>
Cc: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Vhost configuration problem

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Bo Boe wrote:
>
> > Thanks Joshua!
> >
> > That resolves the problem. I just added a line Listen
> > 1025 and ..... it works!
> >
> > The only thing I do not understand from your mail is
> > the latter part of the remark "This is assuming you
> > don't have a listen directive for a specific IP.  If
> > you do, you need to list the IP addresses as well."
> >
> > How can I make a listen directive for a specific IP
> > and why should I want to do that? Isn't the directive
> > <VirtualHost 192.168.0.6:1025> not already statinf
> > that this virtual host listens at IP 192.168.0.6 on
> > port 1025?
>
> Sorry, I wasn't very clear.
>
> By default,
> Listen 999
> will listen to port 999 on all IP addresses.  But if you want to be
> specific, you can say
> Listen 123.456.789.123:999
> to listen only on one specific address.
>
> The VirtualHost directive itself does not change what addresses apache
> listens on.
>
> Joshua.

This thread sounds similar to my configuration.  To beat the comments to
death, let me add this.  I hope it's correct.  ;-)

Listen 999

is the same as

Listen *:999

Which I prefer for clarity and a reminder to myself.  Why would you want
to limit to 12.34.56.78:999?  Say you have a machine, (which may or may
not be behind a firewall, which firewall may be out of your control but
open on that port), which is going to be hit by 3 types of clients:
localhost (127.0.0.1), LAN (192.168.3.4), and Internet (12.34.56.78).
Furthermore, say you only want this accessible on the LAN.  Just listen
on that specifiic IP.

Listen 192.168.3.4:999

Leif