httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Neil Aggarwal" <n...@JAMMConsulting.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Httpd 2.0.48 VERY slow to locally access named virtual host URLs
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 01:08:25 GMT
Hello:

This is strange.

With httpd 2.0.48 on RedHat 9, this did not seem to be a
problem but it seems to be a problem on Fedora Core 1.

When I try to load a URL that goes to a virtual host on the
local server it takes a LONG time (about 10 secs) to load.
If I use a URL that does not require resolving the named virtual
host, the URL loads very fast (milliseconds).

This only happens when I try to load the url from the machine
itself.  If I try to load the URL remotely, the URLs load
fast.

For example, on my server that hosts www.JAMMConsulting.com
also hosts www.futurescope.com which uses name based virtual
hosting.

When I execute this command on the command line of the
machine:
lynx http://www.JAMMConsulting.com
it loads fast.

When I execute this command:
lynx http://www.futurescope.com
it loads very slowly.

But, if I load this url:
lynx http://127.0.0.1/~fscope
it loads fast.

As far as I can tell, this has something to do with the fact
that the domain resolves to the machine's external IP address.

Any ideas what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, JAMM Consulting, (972)612-6056, www.JAMMConsulting.com
FREE! Valuable info on how your business can reduce operating costs by