httpd-users mailing list archives

From "George Hester" <hesterl...@hotmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Re: Re: Changing Port Apache listens on?
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:21:23 GMT
I don't think you understand.  In httpd.conf EVERYTHING looks like comments.  EVERYTHING.
Not somethings but EVERYTHING.
This is an issue of linebreaks not appearing in Notepad which is what I am using to view the
file.
When I tried posting in this post what it looked like to me the line breaks appeared correctly.
I have fixed the issue.  But only because when I tried to post the way the
file looks to me the linebreaks became clear which they wer NOT viewing httpd.conf
in Notepad.

There was no installer in this installation.  The way it works is like this:

Cygwin | Setup | Apache | done.

That's it no more and no less.  That's all.  Once that was done I was at the mercy of reading
locations on the web what to do to get it going and the fact that the linebreaks
were not appearing in httpd.conf I was at a loss where to change the port.

George Hester
"Bill Tribley" <> wrote in message news:001f01c40ebf$de5a0380$0601a8c0@tribley.org...
> You may be confused because of the use of defaults. It is standard practice to include
commented statements of all defaulted parameters. If you don't like the default, you uncomment
and change. Be grateful for the comments. In the bad old days all you got was the code, and
it wasn't very readable.

> Apache is a complex system. The header clearly encourages the installer to really read
the thing and understand it before diving in. I think if you do that you will get used to
the flowing form.