httpd-users mailing list archives

From paged...@speakeasy.net
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: questions...
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:56:34 GMT

George,

OK if you do not get a message from Apache when you go to localhost
then you might have other issues to deal with.  Most of the people here on the list have stated
that they have no luck using Apache on ME.  Have you thought about changing to a newer O/S??

Steven

 --G

> Steven Pierce <pagedev1@speakeasy.net> wrote:George,
>
> Be mean once in a while??  WHy??  That is not what the list is all about.  Anyway..
If you go to
> http://localhost/ and get a page that states Apache is installed and here is the test
page, then you
> have it installed in the correct manner.  If you get the page can not be found, then
you need to look
> at your machine locally first.  You do not have a file or the application pointing to
the correct place.

I have many other things to pursue.  You might try to be mean once it a while, it may work.
 I don't get the page showing Apache running.  I am uncertain about your suggestion referring
to localhost and test page.
> Steven Pierce <pagedev1@speakeasy.net> wrote: George,
>
> OK.. lets get one thing working at a time.  I am not sure that MySQL will run on a Win
> machine.  I believe that it is only Linux, but I am not 100% on that.  Did you ever check
> with your ISP (By phone or Email) that they do not block port 80??  Sorry if you already
> answered this, but it seems like there is a long pause between when you answer sometimes.
> I understand that you are busy also.  Not trying to be mean.
>
> OK.. so by turning off  your firewall, did not stop apache from seeing the net.  Do you
> get the page that shows you that apache is running??  If you open a brower and type in
> localhost what do you see??  If you do not see the test page, then you are not getting
anything
> install, and no one outside will see it anyway.
>
> Steven

and consider every entry.  I could sstart all over downloading Apache then php.  When one
downloads the source and compile, do you get to see the coding??  (silly question).  --G

> George Boston <gboston1@prodigy.net> wrote: Steven:  I'm doing some things for
the Parkinson's Foundation; setting up a web site to evaluate alternate therapies for PD.
 The process is to accumulate answers to questions about the therapies (testimonials) and
make them available for viewers.  So, there is an accumulation phase into a database, then
a display phase.  I was working in FrontPage with ACCESS DB when a friend revealed that not
everyone has ACCESS.  Furthermore, my computer would have to have server duties.  Hence, MySQL,
PHP & Apache combination is a vast improvement.  So what do I want with Apache?  I want
to learn it and use it!!  Ditto PHP.  SQL I think I can handle.  --G
> PS: I tried de-activating ZoneAlarm with no change in Apache, I'll try uninstalling it!
>
> pagedev1@speakeasy.net wrote:
>
> A Static IP is one that is issued to you from your ISP. If you had one you would know
what it is. Trying to run a web server on a line that does not have a Static IP is not very
easy. With a non static IP your IP address can change every 24 hours, or once a week depending
on your ISP.

> Why are you installing Apache? Ignore my other message.

exact name: Apache 2.0.48 -Win32-x86-NO SSI.MSI [PGP] [MO5]. I don't know what is a static
IP?? My PC runs Microsoft Office, email and general purpose operations. I am attaching ReadMe
and License files. --G

> > Steven Pierce
> wrote: OK.. you will need (a must) have a DNS point to use the web server to point to
your machine. If
> > not then you will be hard pressed to get the traffic you are looking for. OK.. the
fact that it is stalling tells
> > me that it is not pointing to the right point. How did you install it?? What version
of the Apache are you
> > running?? Where did you download it from?? Do you have a machine that you run Apache
ONLY ON??

> > Do you have a static IP address, or is it shared?? (static 4.2.2.2 __ shared changes
from time to time)

Following is info; NEXX, the config file entry, WINIPCFG output, & error log. When starting
up Apache it processes for a bit then stalls?? --G