httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] File extension matching behavior, help
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:45:54 GMT

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Timothy Stone wrote:
> I'm running Apache 2.0.48 on Windows 2000.
>
> I just realized my source code for some pages were calling images with a
>   lowercase extension when the resource was explicitly uppercase:
>
>    source: foo.jpg
>
> resource: foo.JPG
>
> I have also just noted that my installation of Apache is also serving
> resources with arbitarily camel-cased resources as an experiment.
>
> Is this something about Apache on Windoze I need to know about that I
> missed?

The windows filesystem is case-insensitive, so apache on windows will
access files without respect to case.

Of course, you should always try to be uniform about your treatment of
case, since URLs on the web are in general case-sensitive, and if you mix
things up you could get duplicates in search engines, caches, etc.

Joshua.