httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] FollowSymLinks in 2.0
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 03:23:45 GMT

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Andrew Thomas Blake wrote:
> If I do a link to the same directory (cgi-bin) or the parent directory (also
> mentioned in a <Directory> section in httpd.conf) my cgi script works fine.
>
> But if I move the destination to a different directory (relinking of course),
> I then get:

> You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/a.cgi on this server.
>
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
> ErrorDocument to handle the request.
> Apache/2.0.40 Server at iifac.loc Port 80
> *******************************
>
> (I'm assuming that the note about the error document is irrelevant; I'll fix
> that later...)

Maybe, maybe not.  You should see two error messages in the error log.
You might be getting confused about which error comes from where.

> and in the error log:

> [Thu Mar 25 19:00:06 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Symbolic link not
> allowed: /home/hosts/iifac/cgi-bin/a.cgi

Show us what the relvant part of your config looks like.

Also, you are using an ancient version of Apache 2.0.  I don't know any
changes that would affect this particular problem, but it is in general
hard to debug a two-year-old version of the server.

Joshua.