httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] access_logs not writing!
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:22:33 GMT

[Please turn off the html.]

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Aaron Wolski wrote:
> Recently setup a dedicated server for my clients. I have access_log
> being written into the customers home/username/logs directory. This was
> working.
>
> I then setup logrotation to be run everyday, which works but the problem
> is when a rotation occurs. access_log will not write UNLESS apache is
> restarted.
>
> Does ANYONE know ro understand what is causing this problem?

See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/logs.html#rotation

You do need to restart apache (gracefully), but this shouldn't be a
problem.

Also, you do know that writing logs to a directory owned by a non-root
user is essentially equivalent to giving that user root, right?
See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/security_tips.html#serverroot

Joshua.