httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Password protected folder within another password protected folder
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:28:15 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Jim Strickland wrote:
> I'm guessing that there is an important step I am missing.
> Could someone please identify what that step is?

I think the first step you are missing is paragraphs in your question.
Wheh.

Anyway, your main problem seems to be that you are mixing up apache
permissions and unix permissions.  These two are almost orthogonal.  As
far as apache is concerned, the only thing that is important is that the
User/Group specified in httpd.conf can read ALL the files that apache
needs to serve.  The rest of the access configuration should be done
entirely at the httpd.conf/.htaccess level, not at the file permission
level.  So, for example, you can make all your files world-readable and
then do

<Directory /path/to/private/>
AuthName private
AuthUserFile ...