httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 vs 2.0
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 00:40:17 GMT

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Wayne Cox wrote:
> > Usually I go for the "latest & greatest" version;  but I really just need a
> > simple, stripped down lean & mean server.  So I'm wondering if 1.3 is
> > substantially faster or smaller or something else advantageous for me?
>
> I'd basically say the opposite of other answers here.  Apache 1.3.x is a
> proven and stable codebase.  Unless you need some of the features in
> 2.0.x, stick with 1.3.x.

Did you say the same thing to people asking you whether they should
upgrade from php2 to php3 to php4 to php5 Rasmus?

I think the implication that 2.0 is not "proven and stable" is rather
unfair and untrue.  It will never be as stable as 1.3, of course, simply
for the reason that there is very little active development of 1.3.

Even if you don't need any of the many new features in 2.0, you should be
aware that almost all development work goes into that codebase.  So if you
are starting out and you want a server with an easy upgrade path to future
enhancements, you should go with 2.0.  That is why I recommend it over
1.3.

Of course, if you already have a 1.3 install and you are happy with it,
then there is no particular reason to upgrade until you need those
enhancements.

Joshua.