httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 vs 2.0
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:38:39 GMT

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Wayne Cox wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Have a question about Apache versions I can't locate an answer to:
>
> Why are versions 1.3 and 2.0 both still actively maintained?
>
> Usually I go for the "latest & greatest" version;  but I really just need a
> simple, stripped down lean & mean server.  So I'm wondering if 1.3 is
> substantially faster or smaller or something else advantageous for me?

This is briefly explained here:
http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
where it tells you to "Use the Apache 1.3.29 version if you need to use
third party modules that are not yet available as an Apache 2.0 module."

In general, I advise you to use 2.0 unless you have a specific reason to
choose 1.3.  The most common specific reason would be a legacy module that
has not been converted to the 2.0 API.

Joshua.