httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 vs 2.0
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 08:42:15 GMT
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, [ISO-8859-15] André Malo wrote:
> However, Apache 2 has a small marketshare (yet). No question. One reason is,
> that people tell all the time "stick with 1.3" without seeing their
> situation. How do you know that 1.3 is better for them? Where the heck does
> that ignorance come from?

Did you even read the original question?  He stated he wanted a simple
lean and mean server not necessarily the latest and greatest.  I think the
situation was well-defined.

> Threading is really *so* new.
> First, you can choose a non-threaded MPM. However, if you choose to use
> worker, where the heck is the problem? Threaded MPMs are developed since
> 2000 (!). You mean, because mod_php is after over 3 years of time not able
> to implement some mutexes, other people suffer from the same problem?
>
> You're wrong.

The problem here is probably that you are thinking of a single limited
situation, your own.  Where you are writing against the Apache2 API and
you have full control over your OS version and the 3rd-party libraries you
are going to use.  If you can tell me how in the world we mutex every
potential unsafe 3rd-party library call which may be safe on one platform
or even safe when run against certain versions of libc on a given
platform, then you win the problem solved award of the year.

> Anyway.
> 1.3 has many drawbacks. In its performance, in its API and in its
> configuration. 2.0 fixed many of these problems and *is* *stable* for over a
> year.

Unfortunately it was released almost 2 years ago as stable.

But I think you are blowing this out of proportion.  I think some of you
guys think I am singlehandedly preventing Apache2 from gaining the use it
deserves.  Believe me, I have no such agenda.  I would like nothing more
than have a great Apache2 web server that solves all our problems.  And if
me telling people who are looking for a stable web server to use Apache1
unless they need Apache2 features is all it takes to prevent the world
from switching to Apache2 then the world is a seriously messed up place.

-Rasmus